Yup, the one pictured is to cut a groove near the edge. After creating the line, you can punch holes and hand stitch the leather. I just like cutting the groove, as it adds a little character to the piece. There are other tools, to cut V grooves for folding, and another skiver to thin out the leather at the edges, to help maintain a continuous stitch line when you are putting the finishing trim on.
4 comments:
Can you explain what those tools are for? I'm intrigued by your use of leather on your bags.
Yup, the one pictured is to cut a groove near the edge. After creating the line, you can punch holes and hand stitch the leather. I just like cutting the groove, as it adds a little character to the piece. There are other tools, to cut V grooves for folding, and another skiver to thin out the leather at the edges, to help maintain a continuous stitch line when you are putting the finishing trim on.
Do you stitch in the groove then? Or is it just a design element?
It depends, I usually figure it out as I go. For these, I'll probably stitch them.
Post a Comment