Brevet

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Orange carry bag




2 comments:

D. W. McClain said...

I really dig that lining. Very unique. Reminds me of the textiles that my parents brought back from our 2 years in Korea in the late 70s.

ruthworkssf said...

Man, I love this lining.
I tried it on a rando bag for my wife, with orange silk kimono fabric. I tore that thing up! I couldn't figure it out and the folks at the shop were like: uh, i dont think you can do that. But I tried it anyway and failed. I abandoned that one. I still have the flaps from it, it looks beautiful but the fabric won't hold.
This time, I was very careful. I bought the fabric, did a rough cut of the shape, tacked it onto the body using my Singer 15-91 and Coats and Clark upholstery thread and a #12 needle, not the usual #20 needle and Tex-69 thread!!! Yikes!!
Afterwards, I trimmed it down to the shape of the body, THEN serged the two fabrics together at the same time. This sequence did it.
The fabric was the perfect shape, and the edges were sealed. At this point, I could do anything I wanted and I knew the fabric would hold. This bag also uses a fucked up inflatable floaty ring that my son and I destroyed on the Klamath River. It is the tangerine sides under the side pockets. It stitches up really well, no problems, double folded and layered into two other layers of Sunbrella waterproof fabric. This bag is for my friend Kate. Her birthday was last week and her baby is due next week, in Hawaii.

Post a Comment